Monday, January 24, 2011

God's Garden Must Be Beautiful

God Looked around the garden,
and found an empty space.
He looked down upon the earth,
and saw your tired face.

He put his arms around you,
and lifted you to rest.
God's garden must be beautiful
for he only takes the best.

He knew you were weary,
and knew you were in pain.
He knew that you might never,
be well on earth again.

He saw the roads were getting rough,
and the hills were hard to climb.
So he closed your weary eyelids,
and whispered peace be thine.

Author unknown.

About 36 years ago I met my best friend Kathy.  I was a recent divorcee and had been moving into an apartment - 'friends' who promised to help didn't show up, my son had an ear infection, and I moved boxes all day in my old Ford Pinto.  My last trip was my son's crib that I had taken apart and put into the back of the car.  I cried all the way from the house to my apartment.  As I was pulling into a parking space, Kathy was pulling in the one next to me, getting home from work.  She came over when she saw I was crying and helped me carry that crib upstairs to the apartment.  She helped me put it together and then stayed and we talked for hours.  Meanwhile her husband, Bud, brought us frozen daiquiris and food.  And Kathy and I have been best friends ever since.

Saturday afternoon, Bud passed away unexpectedly.  They say friendship is a sheltering tree.  I hope that I'll be able to be her sheltering tree in the months to come.  Prayers for Kathy and her two grown sons would be appreciated. 






6 comments:

  1. So sorry about your friend's husband. What a beautiful poem. I am sure you will be able to help her like she helped you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sweet Jill,

    I'm SO sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Bud and the heartache and grief that undoubtably awaits Kathy in the Days and years that Follows. My heart Aches for her.

    You may already know all this, but after being widowed at 37, I learned a bit about losing a spouse...

    Widows and Widowers need to be told the impact their spouse made on life, family, etc. It's a big "healer" to those left behind that their loved one left a footprint on this Earth.

    There are ALWAYS lots of people there immediately afterwards,,,it's those that take the time to pick up the phone or drop a note later on the help the healing the most! Yes, it's important to "Be there" for her now,,but MUCH more so after the initial "stampede" has subsided.....I cannot begin to say how much it meant to me to hear kind words, months and even years later.

    -Acknowledge "The Elephant in the Room." Say his Name when it's appropriate to the situation at hand. I hated it when people said "He"-instead of in my case, "Karl." She wants to know that he was important, that their life together was significant/of merit.

    Sorry, I sort of get on a "Roll" with all this, because I was widowed so young and people didn't know what to say or what to do......

    And then, eventually I took a bunch of classes and facilitated classes for widows and widowers of all ages. Just trying to provide some insight.

    Jill, Give her a BIG hug from Me, next time you see her...of course you don't need to SAY it's from me! Just hold her a bit closer and know that I feel for Her and YOU as a dear friend!

    I just know He's in a better place and as hard as it is for all of you that are left behind, it is an opportunity for growth, insight, perspective. The lessons and the love we gain from sharing our lives with others, I believe, is truly what life is all about!

    Big Hugs Jill! You are a dear friend and I'm sorry for your loss!

    Love you to pieces!
    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, I don't know you from Adam but there's not a doubt in my mind that you are as good a friend to her as she is to you. Your sweet spirit and heart will help your friend...probably more than you will ever know.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my place..
    As for the room I am about to tackle..it will take me awhile to finish it (I am olden and SLOW) but I will post as I go. It isn't going to be anything that ROCKS THE WORLD but it will be cute in my eyes. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I will indeed be saying a prayer for your sweet friend Kathy and celebrating the life of her Bud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful gift and blessing you've had in your friendship with Kathy. It's the little things that mean the most when we're hurting and people showing up...is a blessing and kindness. Kathy will be tucked into prayer tonight, as will you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They will be in my thoughts and prayers. take care Jill!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think.